6 Job Search Tips to Help You Land Your Best Job
Sorting through those listings can seem overwhelming because the descriptions are often vague. You wonder, how do you narrow the search? How do you tell if your qualifications are a match? How do you make the most of your job-search time? How do you stand out from the competition?
- Get a solid grasp on your skillsets. Envision the type of work you both want and are qualified to do.
- Create a polished professional resume.
- An eye-catching summary is essential.
- Follow the C words: clean, compelling, concise, clarity.
- Show – don’t tell. Substantiate your accomplishments with hard numbers and facts.
- Customize your resume to each listing for which you
- Keep both a readable format of your resume and a presentable pdf copy. You may need both. (A pdf copy cannot be read correctly by automated scanning systems but works well for an email attachment.)
- Write a strong cover letter but don’t restate your resume. Include a call to action.
- Narrow down your search. You can do this in several ways.
- Use your network of contacts to refer you. Companies tend to offer preferential treatment to employee referrals. If your secure an interview, be polite and express genuine thanks to the contact who referred An immediate email followed by a handwritten note are appropriate.
- Use your resources to contact someone at a company of choice. Communicate with them about your desire to work there. If they offer to forward your information, send a thank you.
- Research companies to understand their culture and expectations and single out several that are an ideal match for your skills.
- Try to apply to newer posts. Those which have been posted for longer than two weeks may no longer be receiving resumes even though they are still listed. Or, they could be high turnover positions which companies maintain postings for to stack candidates.
- Let recruiters know you are in the market for a job by using your LinkedIn profile. Write a specific headline that states what you do and the challenge you seek.
- Don’t forget to register with a local staffing firm such as AllianceStaff. Staffing firms have expertise in matching your skills with the right jobs. They partner with you to make finding a job easier.
Whether you’re looking for a new position, the next step in your career, between jobs, or even looking for temp-to-hire situations, you can take advantage of the experienced consultants at AllianceStaff. Through our wide reach of contacts and experience in the local market with hiring officials and business owners, we are aware of the many hidden jobs. And that’s our strength – we’re allied with the companies and are here to serve you! Contact us today.